Intersectionality - Inclusion at Scottish Power, Rakesh Chand
As the first integrated energy company in the UK to generate 100% green electricity, ScottishPower is leading the UK’s energy transition and supporting the country’s fight against climate change. We believe that teams with greater diversity and inclusive leadership can offer much higher levels of innovation, creativity and success for our business and society as a whole. We want to attract and inspire the best talent regardless of gender, age, disability, ethnicity or any other factor by building an environment that fosters a sense of belonging and acceptance for everyone.
The growth of our employee networks continues to support our aspirations by generating valuable insights that inform our approach to embedding inclusive behaviours and ways or working. If you’re interested in finding out more on our current Diversity and Inclusion initiatives and plans for the future you can head to Inclusion at ScottishPower.
In addition to our D&I initiatives we’re extremely proud of our Community Programmes and Partnerships which include:
- Our long-term relationship with Cancer Research UK, through which we’ve have raised well over £20 million since 2012 to help bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
- The award winning Breaking Barriers programme , run in partnership with Strathclyde University and ENABLE Scotland which provides young people with a Learning Disability with a recognised business qualification via a mainstream university including an eight-week work experience placement at ScottishPower.
- Our Returner programme providing ALL candidates, who’ve taken a career break of two years or more (including people who have had a role in STEM which has been directly impacted by Covid19), with opportunities to re-enter the STEM industry. The programme helps applicants refresh their existing skills and knowledge while building their confidence in a working environment through a structured pathway.
- Creating voluntary mentoring opportunities through MCR Pathways , a Scottish charity supported by ScottishPower whose vision is that every care-experienced and disadvantaged young person in Scotland gets the same education outcomes, career opportunities and life chances as every other young person.
- Their school-based Mentoring programme supports disadvantaged and care-experienced young people, helping them to find, grow and use their talents and to progress onto positive destinations.